Friday, June 1, 2012

Something about an oyster?



While at the beach this week, discovering, well maybe not in the sense of something
that has never been seen before but in the discovery of something I have never seen before,
this popped into my head:

"The world is my oyster"

It's certainly not something I hear very often, and I'm not even sure where I first heard it.
But apparently it comes from Shakespeare, and yes I googled it.

The Merry Wives of Windsor Act 2, scene 2, 2-5

Falstaff: I will not lend thee a penny

Pistol: Why then the world's mine oyster,
which with sword I will open.

Falstaff: Not a penny

Hmmm, I'm thinking Pistol is threatening to steal from Falstaff and everyone else. Just a thought
but then again I've never really understood Shakespeare. I don't really like this version very much.

So I'm going with my original thought, and that's probably not original either, that the world
is my oyster, that life is full of treasures just waiting for us to notice. And these treasures aren't
even something we need to steal from anyone, they are just simply the gifts of the earth.

"The world is my oyster clam"
Sometimes you have to improvise . . .


{Photo Art Friday - Golden Bokeh, hardlight 32%}

The ocean seems to be throwing a lot of gifts my way lately . . . okay it might also be with
the help of my handy dandy blue kids net we bought when they were little. It seems to be my lucky charm.

SO,

the other day I had this idea and thought how cool would it be to actually see the things I find in their
natural habitat rather than in my handy dandy blue net.

Welcome to Kim's aquarium....


Can you hear me squeal with joy! I found the best glass container, AND it was on sale, to take with
me to the beach for my blue net finds. Oh but the squeal wasn't because of the container. . . I found a new kind of fish in the seaweed. They look like their tails were cut off but really the tail and their pectoral fin is completely see through, and why at first I didn't notice them in my net. They looked like a small brown frond, that and they aren't even the size of a dime. Aren't they cute!!



These aren't the greatest pictures, it's hard to shoot through glass and less than clear water and well,
they never stop moving.


And Mr. Crab, I think I may know where "crabby" comes from. He definitely needed an attitude adjustment as he wasn't playing very nice with the others. And perhaps it was his cousin Vinny that stabbed my ankle
whilst standing knee deep with my net, and gosh it hurt and broke the skin. Well at least I'm going with that 'cause the thought of it being something else kinds freaks me out a bit.

I had another first . . . a water spout!
And this storm formed fast, and it wasn't just one, but at one time there were five trying to start.
If you look really closely you can see where the water spout is touching the water as it sprays out.
But the excitement dwindled after about 20 minutes....


And this one, I can't seem to get enough of these wildflowers that grow along the road to "my oyster". 


{Flower Art Friday}

The world is an oyster . . . pearls are found in oysters. Some pearls are very valuable.

The. World. Is. An. Oyster!!

Have a wonderful weekend!
(School's ...out...for...summer)

Love, Kim
XO






photosbyleannePhoto Art Friday

 
 project 52 p52 weekly photo challenge my3boybarians.com

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful photos!
It looks like a marvelous time at the beach.
(yes, those dime-size fish are adorable)
Love the last flower photo, too,
and I'm here via LeAnne's Flower Art Friday.

Ellen said...

I was giggling when I saw the pics of your fishies in the glass container, cuz I envisioned you out there at the beach squealing!!! what a great idea to put them in there to photograph them. love the oyster, er clam, photo! can't believe how far you've come with your photography. wasn't it just yesterday you were learning what an f-stop was? kudos to you, kim.

Marvett Smith said...

Wow. I love these images. Especially the first one. Stunning!

Birgitta said...

Wonderful photos! So special and great!

LeAnne said...

That oyster/pearl shot is magnificent! Love how you used the bokeh on that one. Magazine worthy! I also happen to love your flowers and the fact that you shared them with Flower Art Friday! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

Ida said...

Awesome work yet again. Your "clam" shot is just delightful and oh my capturing the waterspot...how awesome!

Andrea Dawn said...

I can almost hear you squealing with delight at your found treasures of the sea. The colours in your wildflowers shot are so warm and welcoming.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Such cool treasures, you find some amazing things . . . and that water spout is incredible. Holy cow!

Pat said...

Love the clam shot!

Jeanne said...

Kim these are truly awesome. What adorable little tiny fish those are and love your oyster and thoughts that go with it. Great work!!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

I always learn so much when I visit you Kim. Such a delight. The water spouts shot is great. And I just love the piece of photo art you produced for Photo Art Friday. The world is your oyster and the way you honor your world in word and art is inspiring.

Deanna said...

Holy smokes these are awesome already...I love the oyster...clam shot, the colors are glorious. How clever of you with the glass container. And yes, those wildflowers are just supreme!!

teri said...

Kim, Your work is fantastic... and all while you are on vacation! Thank you for taking us with with you to visit your oyster. Your have a zest for life and great images will have me visiting again!

Thanks for you kind visit and words over at my place.

Electra said...

These are all wonderful-I love your oyster/clam! Thanks for the smile!

Merike said...

The first one is my favorite. Colden bokeh texture and the image work vey well together. Gorgeous piece of art :)

Lovely weekend to you!

Anonymous said...

the first and the last picture are my favorite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...