Friday, May 31, 2013

The seaweed is here {jumping for joy} . . .



"People protect what they love"
- Jacques Cousteau


Yes we do. We protect our families, our homes, our possessions.
We protect our freedom.
We do so with force and sometimes 'til death.

But in my humble opinion, we have failed epically to protect our environment and its precious resources.
Everything was put here on this Earth to fulfill a purpose.
Not just for our sustainability, but also for our pleasure.

So, without further delay, I'm here today to help you fall in love . . . with a frogfish! lol
Oh yeah, you're gonna wish you could hold one when this is over

Do you remember I finally found one last year in the sargassum seaweed? Well, in my only two visits to the beach so far this year (yes that comes as a shock to me too-the two part not the visit), I not only found one but I found 5!

I was so happy to get to the beach AND see the seaweed  . . .  I skipped straight into the water!!
And I'm not the only one that gets excited for this massive entrance of seaweed dinner.



The seagulls can almost always be found waiting for their fair share of seaweed critters to snatch up.




I was only going to go and stay for a few hours . . . 




. . . but me and my handy dandy blue net (you remember that one) were having way too much fun!




The waves AND the seaweed were crashing into the shore (and my legs). Always takes just a bit to desensitize my legs to that feeling of something crawling on me. But as you start to hit pay dirt, you just kinda forget about it.

The one I found last year was probably about twice this size, and they can reach up to 7.5".
Such a fascinating looking fish complete with weedy dermal appendages that help it to blend right in. Ever seen a fish with blue eyes? Me either. 





They depend on their camouflage for protection since this fish has no scales.
Now watch what happens when I put him in the water . . . 




Ta da, just look at all those crazy appendages, isn't it cute! Do you see the sargassum shrimp on the left?




Oh yeah, I caught a ton of millet too. These are used a lot as bait fish, when they get larger of course.




As I was photographing these through my temporary aquarium glass jar, I hear someone say excuse me.
I turn around and it's a white truck with the words, Texas Parks and Wildlife! Ruh roh, and then he asks me, "Whatcha got there"? Whew, he was really just interested in what I had in the container, and was a little surprised that I caught them in my little kids net. 



1. I could live at the beach (shocker)
2. I go to the beach to relax, but I never sit down...hardly ever (another shocker)
3. I love the seaweed . . . people think I'm crazy (I know, shocked again)
4. There is almost 100 species of marine life that lives in that seaweed (I heard ya say wow)
5. I'm on a mission to find them all (of course you're not surprised) 
Sargassum shrimp...check
Sargassum frogfish...check
sargassum crab...check
nudibranch...check
cute little fish I do not know the name of ...check  

The problem is, people look at the seaweed as a smelly glass that is half empty . . . 
But really it's half chocked full of really cool sea life!!

I can tell you nearly 9.5 times out of 10 after someone asks me why I'm shaking the seaweed
they had no idea all these things live in there and then they get really interested. In fact, most of the things that do live in it can be found no where else, exclusive to this seaweed.

From experience I have found that people warm up to things they may fear when they have some knowledge
and understanding . . . which may lead to interest and caring about it . . . which may lead to loving it.

And,

People protect what they love.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Love, Kim
XO

Sharing with Little Things Thursday, Friday Photo Journal, Finding Serendipity {1440}


36 comments:

Barbara said...

Wonderful images and I learned something new, amazing little fish.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm in love! And, I've learned something about seaweed! Great post and fantastic shots!

kelly said...

i had no idea that all these little critters lived in seaweed! thanks for opening my eyes. :)

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love your 5 shockers here ... no clue here about all that lived within seaweed. i find it interesting to look at ... so neat! ( :

tiarastantrums said...

stunning shots!! You really take the time to "see" what is around you! I need to do that more often!

Deanna said...

Oh thanks for all that info, altho I did know that lots of stuff live in the seaweed, why else would the birds love it so. I LOVE that first shot, totally brilliant.

Lynn said...

fantastic photos! I have a friend who weaves seaweed into baskets-blue eyes fish, oh my goodness. I especially your seagull shot.

Miriam said...

What a fabulous post and wonderful pictures Kim. You 'seem' uplifted today? I hope so.

EMily said...

Those shots are amazing! That sounds like it was a lot of fun, and very relaxing too!

Molly said...

Wow the underwater shots are so amazingly clear.

Mollyxxx

Mary said...

You are so right that we protect what we love. I wish people loved the environment more, but it always seems to be about quick gratification.

That is the coolest fish ever!! I love him. His eyes are like tiny sapphires!

Sherri B. said...

Your love and passion for this seaweed (and its critters) is so catching - this post made me smile. It's fascinating how many things live inside of it! I would never have given the seaweed a second look, but because of you I would be excited to check it out. Your photos are amazing...and the first shot of the seagull takes my breath away!

Nancy said...

I really like how you started out with a thought and ended up with the same thought. Very cool.

Those little fish are amazing. Who knew they could be found in seaweed?

Thanks for an interesting 5 facts today Kim. xo

Silvina Soave said...

Espectaculares imágenes, realmente maravillosas!!
Un abrazo grande.

Diane said...

I truly enjoyed your post. Made me smile. I love fish and never heard nor saw this kind. Thanks for sharing all of your great shots and great info.

Inspired By June said...

"people warm up to things they may fear when they have some knowledge
and understanding" so true, Kim! Wonderfully amazing images - thank you for educating us about seaweed :)

Jeanne said...

I TOTALLY L O V E these shots. The seagull is awesome, and your shots of these little sea creatures are amazing. Who would think all of these things in the seaweed. Great post Kim

Kim Cunningham said...

I want to go to the beach with you. I think the frog fish are adorable. And...that seagull image is incredible. Nobody and I mean nobody takes nature shots like you. Talent.

LisaS said...

Fabulous post! Happy seaweeding ;)

SKCPhotos said...

Fabulous images and a fantastic post.

ExploreColorado said...

Living near the beach would be so much fun. I've never had the luxury. Frogfish. What incredible creatures.

Snap said...

wonderful wonderful wonderful. when i lived on the island, my favorite time was in the fall ... almost all the tourists were gone and I could walk and adventure and research and find goodies all I wanted! great post.

4 Lettre Words said...

You are just so much fun, Kim! And, that 1st shot is beyond-words-gorgeous.

Anita Johnson said...

This is a WONDERFUL series....

Ida said...

Totally Amazing post and full of so much information and wonderful creatures. The seaweed on the Pacific Coast is very different and I've never discovered any creatures living in it, but then again I've never really looked that closely either. That fish is just so cool looking.

Linda said...

Oh! The seaweed's back! I didn't see any last year on our trip to the beach. The whole story of that seaweed is very interesting! I love seeing the little creatures you are finding! That little fish might not have scales but he sure does have teeth! Thanks for sharing!

kathyinozarks said...

another informative and breath taking post I am so glad I found you Kim, you always inspire-hugs

Serendipityissweet said...

Such amazing images Kim! I love the frog fish, how cool!! I am so glad you shared this. I am sharing it with my kids too :)

heyjudephotography said...

I learn something just about every time I read your blog. Awesome photos. Awesome info. Awesome story telling. Love the way you write. :)

Unknown said...

Such amazing photos my friend. I just got back from the ocean. I loved every minute of it. Oh how I wish I lived a bit closer.. One day I will..

Hugs~

Rosie Grey said...

This is amazing, Kim! I didn't know all that - thanks so much for the interesting facts! I loved reading this - and of course also your fantastic photos!

Katie said...

all i can say is: i wanna live where you live and go hang out on the beach and play all day! wonderful photos, and TERRIFIC information, kim!!

Unknown said...

KIM!!! These are SO fun and absolutely fabulous...Love them all

Unknown said...

KIM!!! These are SO fun and absolutely fabulous...Love them all

Tamar SB said...

Those are some interesting looking creatures! Gorgeous shots!

Sandy's witterings said...

I like these pictures but the seagull one you started with is just cracking I think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...