Tuesday, January 14, 2014

In search of simple . . .


"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary
 so that the necessary may speak."

- Hans Hofmann


This could be said of our words, our possessions and the way we present ourselves.
THIS, very much relates to life. 

And... how I can better use my camera.

Last week I started a class, The 50mm project class with Kim Manely Ort Photography. A four week course touching on contemplative photography where last week we concentrated on finding simplicity. For the whole of the class lessons we are using only our 50mm lens as she says it is closest to how our eyes see. I have to admit that when I first got this lens, or have been in low light situations like the missions in San Antonio, I used this lens a bunch. But since getting my 40mm macro lens two years ago, I'm afraid it doesn't get used as often now. So, I'm re-aquainting myself with intention, all the simplicity the 50mm (1.8) lens has to offer.

I went to the sunrise on Friday and while after it rose it was light out side, the sun never showed up for my party and apparently I was the only one that didn't get the memo. So I quickly changed to my nifty fifty and headed down the bunny birding trail.

This was my sunrise that morning, grey, and very foggy, and the tree was covered in large dew drops. My husband stopped by on his way to work...he said my hair was covered in dew drops too, lol! 


I found some red berries framing a path that said, come hither!




And I know we are a little ahead of things down here in Texas, but golly I found daffodils blooming already and the mountain cedar is pollinating profusely. (Hachoo) 


I wish I had brought a plastic bag with me (left my camera bag with the plastic bag in the car for simplicity sake) to gather all the beautiful pine cones for next fall.


Used shallow depth of field,

{KK Oh My}

 and manual focus to explore simple.


And I can't seem to get enough photos of all the wonderful textures of the grasses.


Yes, with a little intention and my 50mm lens I'm not only finding but celebrating simplicity.
Now, if it it could only simplify my closets for me!


Wishing you all the beauty of a simple day,
Love, Kim







31 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

So gorgeous! I would love to be able to shoot pictures as skillfully and effortlessly as you do! I love those grassy textures, the dew on the branches, the close up of the pine needles. Truly brilliant! Enjoy the day. And thank you for enriching mine!
Erin

Beverly said...

These are so beautiful Kim, and inspirational to simplify in all areas. I'm practicing with mine, but not posting, yet.

Linda/patchwork said...

Beautiful shots.
You do such good work.

Gail Dixon said...

Really gorgeous images, Kim. The pine cone and the first shot of the bare limbs are exceptional. Pure beauty. I need to get reacquainted with my Nifty Fifty as well. It used to live on my camera, but it has been sadly neglected the last two years.

Barbara said...

Gorgeous color, Kim, the pine cone and the branch love these type of images. Wonderful

To answer your question I am 20 min. from Terri on a good traffic day. I am north of Phoenix on the way to Sedona and Terri is north east of Phoenix close to Scottsdale.

Anonymous said...

The "intentional" simplicity is absolutely the purest of raw beauty! Untouched, untextured….so captivating and "silent"! Thanks for sharing :)

Dotti said...

You're rockin' the 50, Kim! These are all lovely and I agree, grasses can be so much fun to photograph. I'm the opposite of you. I've never warmed up to my 40mm macro but love my 50mm compact macro. I got the 1.4 last week but this morning had to switch back to the compact macro for a flower shot. Otherwise, I've really been enjoying the 1.4. I think the class is great! So happy you're there with us.

Deanna said...

ah yes, the big word simplify, a word that seems foreign to me if you look into my world. Great captures with your 50mm, especially love the red berries.

bgottsab said...

Kim - these are simply gorgeous! These are the kinds of images that make me want to get a dSLR with this exact lens. Each one - simple yet powerful. My favorite is the pine needle branches - such lovely spring green, so delicate with a wonderful sense of motion.

Tamar SB said...

Kim, these are absolutely stunning!!

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Beautiful so simple but very special...

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful images.

Michelle B said...

You captured simplicity perfectly! I love the berries and the pine cone. My closets could use some simplicity too.

Kathryn Dyche said...

I have a 50mm lens but it doesn't tend to get a look in because I love my 100mm macro so much. You make me want to dig it out and give it some love.

Barb said...

You make me want to use my 50! Your compositions draw the eye. I enjoyed my walk with you.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Great adventure with the nifty fifty. Such lovely captures but my favorite is the first one, so haunting.

Miriam said...

Every one of these is just breathtakingly beautiful. I really love my fifty, for shots such as these. Thanks for sharing. I'm not going to choose a favourite. I'm keeping it simple... all of them x

Kim said...

I adore this lens and your work with it is beautiful...as always! Really love the raindrop branches!

Anonymous said...

Daffodils already?!? I'm not ready for that yet, not just yet, but soon. Great set of pictures.

Inspired By June said...

Ah, a simple day would, indeed, be beautiful! Thank you for sharing your walk with us again. I just love taking a walk with you, Kim! Have a blessed week!

Sharon said...

That is indeed a nifty 50! This is a lovely collection. I'm thinking of getting a 35mm 1.8 with my Christmas gift money. Any advice? Should I go for the 50 instead? Enjoy your class!

Becs said...

These are absolutely beautiful. I especially love the first shot with the rain drop branches. Very beautifully done.

Cathy H. said...

Oh, these are beautiful! I love how simplicity evokes calm, quiet feelings; almost like there's a hush over the land. I'm still reaping benefits from Kim's 50mm class.

Anita Johnson said...

I have the same lens and rarely use it...often because my other lenses are more versatile. these beautiful photos of yours reminds me of the beautiful DOF that lens gives. Maybe I should get it out again!

Nicki said...

My 50 hasn't seen the light of day for far too long. These are beautiful. (and I hate it when nature and I are not on the same page)

Unknown said...

I have brought out my 50mm recently. I LOVE that lens. I really need to use it more. Your photos look amazing. Love all the Bokeh going on in your shots my friend.

Hugs~

Joyful said...

Your photos are very nice! Happy OWT.

Roxi H said...

oh be still my heart! I love those grasses! and everything else.

hula-la said...

A BFF lives in Houston. I'm sending him all of my snow pics. I'm having camera envy at the moment looking at these. That's on my list of "intentions"...a new cam. Aloha

Ida said...

Super pretty shots. I loved the dew drops on the branches and the lovely grasses.

Mrs. K. said...

I love the simple beauty of these pics!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...