Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Photo Heart Connection, February



Why, oh why, oh why....
do we not, until we can't,
 ask those questions,
about the things we didn't know
we would want to know until now.

Answers to the questions
we didn't know to ask, until we couldn't.
Because we didn't know we would want to know
until later.

{KK textures 1216 and Anna}


I was drawn in by the gold edges on the pages that reflected back on the table.

This was my grandfather's bible, the leather cover around the edges quite worn and tattered. But the all pages and binding are still in really great condition. On the front of the bible it has his name imprinted in gold lettering and on the side it says that it's a teacher's edition . . . I can't help but wonder if it might have been a gift. And on the occasions that I went to church with my grandparents on sleepover weekends, I do vaguely remember him carrying this bible with him.

You know, when we're young we just have no earthly idea how important family legend is. Story, with all the connections, and traditions that will eventually give shape to who we are and where we came from. A unique sense of who we are through history, through a span of generations.

When I see the reflection of those gold pages, it just reminds me of all the questions I wish I had known to ask. Even the simplest of things like what life was like when they grew up, advice on marriage and raising kids, to writing down how my grandpa made his vegetable soup and their best gardening tips. I am fortunate enough to have my grandmothers 5 year dairy which gives insight to their dating years. You can read an excerpt of it here. (Patience is a virtue, a love story)

Within the last year or so, after receiving some ancestral information on my dad's side my daughter became quite interested and has done extensive research on my moms side specifically my grandfather's {"Poppy"}. And much to our surprise she found a book on Amazon about my 6x great grandfather Adam Spach, which includes a short autobiography and memoirs of he and his wife and 170 pages worth of his descendants through a span of six generations. That's 2,488 in total of direct descendants and another 1,699 people who married into the family.

That's a lot of people from one couple and it certainly makes one think considering everyone we meet has a past and connections and a story. You can't help but wonder if you have ever unknowingly met someone that you have a real connection with and then wonder if you might be part of their story too. 

And speaking of reflections, its our new theme over at Focusing on Life, and I'm continuing the muse over there today with a slightly different twist. I would love for you to join me over there today as well. 

Happy Tuesday all-
Love, Kim





28 comments:

Sherri B. said...

What a thoughtful post...I know so little about my family's ancestry. It's something I'd love to research. I never knew my paternal grandfather or my maternal grandmother...I'm so curious about knowing more.

Tamar SB said...

How thoughtful and beautiful. I was always drawn to books of the Bible that have golden edges - they always felt so fancy and important!

Cathy H. said...

I know exactly what you mean...wishing you'd asked some questions. I've felt the need lately to write things about myself. My children probably will not think to ask until it's too late! I love your image, so very touching!

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful reflection of your family! I love old books, especially bibles. You know that this one has truly touched many lives and will continue to do so!
Great post and lovely photo…thanks for sharing!

Inspired By June said...

I love old books. Bibles especially. My dad is a genealogist. He has traced our family back to the "boat we came over on" and has done extensive work on other families as well. It's not just about names on branches that connect. He builds a picture of their home and community life that helps you understand WHO the person was. Fascinating. And, yes, we've found a few skeletons in the closet. LOL. Thanks for sharing, Kim!

Adrienne said...

I love love love this. Our connection to where we come from is so vital to a more complete understanding of who we are. I love recording our history...telling our stories - it's the main reason that scrapbooking became so important to me...and why I keep special items from my grandparents and parents around me in my home. Love the photo - it pulls me right in to want to know the story of the owner!

lisa said...

What an absolute treasure to find that book about your ancestors! And what a treasure this bible is for you now. The genealogy bug hits me from time to time and when it does...I lose entire days! :-)

Linda/patchwork said...

I agree with Lisa...how wonderful to find a book about your ancestors.
I did ask questions, but not enough, and some not in time.
If we knew to ask, or even just to listen to all the stories being told, we would learn so much.
Great post and gorgeous photo and editing.

abrianna said...

I noticed the reflection of the photo immediately. It is what I like best about it too.

History is interesting...but for a whole lot of us, we are not going to have that connection. Orphans, adoptees. Depending on where one was adopted, the only way to get any information at all is from a doctors note or hire an attorney.

Gail Dixon said...

Since my grandfather dabbled in moonshine during prohibition and had a shoot-out with the Feds, I so wish I had asked him more about that. You're right, we don't realize until it's too late. Love the image of your grandfather's bible.

Anita Johnson said...

Nice post, Kim. We have pretty good records from past generations, but it is the stories that make them come alive.

Sheila said...

Lovely post (and the one on Focusing on Life too!). I wish that I asked my grandparents more questions too - and I've been trying to get my parents to write stories about their past - but there is never enough time. Luckily the generations that follow us have our blogs :)

Pieni Lintu said...

Beautiful!!

Brenda said...

Gorgeous golden reflections, made even more beautiful by the memories.

Unknown said...

My grandmother and I traced roots from my grandfathers side and it is fun and exciting to research. Love this shot and post Kim.

Linda H said...

How true, how true! There is an old Pennsylvania Dutch saying: "We are too soon old and too late smart."

Dotti said...

Love that photo! It is so neat that Chloe has gotten interested in your genealogy! Good luck on your research.

Beverly said...

When I think of all the relatives I've known along the way and didn't think to ask any of the questions I would love to know the answers to now. How exciting that you daughter has an interest in genealogy. That is a project I want to work on very soon too.

Prairie Jill said...

What a beautiful image! Such a lovely angle, beautiful texture, and oh the light! Love it!

molly said...

This is a lovely photograph, the light and depth of field is perfect

mollyxxx

Sarah Huizenga said...

Isn't it so true that you wish you could go back with the maturity you have now and ask all those questions I feel the same with my great aunt, who was the family historian, yet there is little information, other than what I know from personal experience, about my great aunt herself.

Kathryn Dyche said...

There are so many questions I wish I'd asked of my grandparents and my father who are now gone. I feel bad that I never asked.

Kim Cunningham said...

I know what you mean and I don't think the effect is truly felt until this middle aged season. I was never particularly close to any of my grandparents, one set because of their passing while I was young, and the other set due to disinterest on their part. My dad's father died when I was 36, and I remember being at the funeral and grieving that I knew nothing about him...like nothing. I found out that day that he was in WW2. Never knew. But yes, I felt a great loss in what could have been.

Anonymous said...

Superrrrrrr

Roxi H said...

lovely post. time seem to just slip away. I've been trying to got info out of Hubby's parents, they are in their 80s. Unfortunately his mom has early stages alsheimers and you can't believe everything she says.

Miriam said...

If you knew how many times I wish I had asked questions of parents and grandparents.... Love love love your PHC Kim

(madis) said...

wonderful pic!

Kat Sloma said...

Why do we wait? Such a good question. We need maturity and growth to know the questions to ask, and to be honestly open to the answers. But sometimes that's too late. Gorgeous image and thoughts this month. Thanks for sharing in the Photo-Heart Connection.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...