Tuesday, January 27, 2015

When someone notices . . .



"Well it's alright, doing the best you can"

-End of the Line  (Traveling Wilburys)



Saturday we drove to see the college girl to help her out with a few things, we were gone all day. And by all day I mean we pulled into the driveway at midnight, barley awake.

Sunday morning, after a few errands, my husband went to the mailbox to get the mail. He said there were two postcards, one addressed to him and one to the football boy. Both written on the same kind of postcard.

The one for my husband was from our boy. A very sincere note about how he felt he was successful, always working hard, finding the good in our family . . . and how he has never felt denied of anything. Now you have to understand, there have been some really tough times in our family, like many families. And during those times its hard enough sometimes to get what you need let alone what you want. So it was very touching, and a tribute to the character of our boy ( to both our kids really ) to say that he has never felt denied, even when we could't give them some of things we thought they should have.

The one addressed to our son had this written on it:

"You have been through so many hard times in your life with your health and you never gave up. You kept going in your school grades and your activities. You never show you're hurt or sick, and you always keep going." Signed by a friend in his English class.

In fact, this was an English assignment. To write to someone who you think fits R. W. Emerson's definition of success. Which is, "To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

(For those of you visiting for the first time or new followers, this link will help you understand better what his friend means by the hard times with his health)

His friend could have sent this to anyone...his parents, anyone. But, he chose to send it to my boy! And as his mom (as his parents) we know this, we see his humility and his kindness and his choice to be happy despite what life continues to throw at him. And it makes my heart happy that someone else noticed too. That he can know that while most people his age won't say it, they see him doing the best that he can. To know that he can be an example to others who are or may go through something really hard, that if you keep the right attitude, that if you make it a choice to be happy, that well, life will be alright when you're doing the best that you can.

Snail mail has nearly become something of the past these days, and reading these two postcards has reminded me to never underestimate the power of the written word or telling someone else just how much they have inspired you. 

What a great English assignment....I have some postcards of my own to send! Because who wants to get to the end of the line and have any regrets. Either with what you didn't say or how you didn't live.

Love, Kim





32 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What an amazing assignment! What an amazing note and an amazing peer.

Michelle B said...

Such a moving post, Kim. It must have been what I needed to hear today, because tears are streaming down my face. What a great definition of success, it is one I will remember. You must be a proud mom. :)

Sylvia said...

This is my first time visit to your blog,from Stephanie's. What a good thing to say about your son,I know you are proud of him.

Southern Gal said...

Such an uplifting note for your boy from his clasmate. We never know who's watching.

Dotti said...

I think this is the most beautiful story. Kudos to both boys!

Sheila said...

Beautiful post, such a wonderful story.

Kathryn Dyche said...

The written word can be such a beautiful thing.

chasing the sun said...

Love this post! The best feeling on earth is to be a proud mama!
Pretty handwritten snail mail is wonderful to get when it is personal and not a bill or advertisement, lol :-)

Kim Cunningham said...

I'm always amazed how the smallest acts of kindness can really fill the tank. These things seem to always show up at just the right time.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Kim, so nice to meet you. I am visiting from Stephanie's link party. So enjoy my visit and this post is an inspiration. What a blessing for you and your hubby with the gift those postcards sent to your heart.
Just precious. Wishing you many blessings.
Hugs

Lorraine said...

What a moving post. Such a great assignment and how wonderful for your son to have received the kudos from a peer. And his acknowledgement to his dad is priceless also. You must be elated. Thank you for sharing this.

Nicki said...

Just when you question if the next generation is mostly self-centered and entitled, they show you that compassion, consideration, and gratitude lives on. This is a beautiful post and a tribute to you and your entire family. It is so hard to say no or have limits on what we can do for our children, but I have to believe that being honest with them about why will help shape them as better adults.

diane said...

That was amazing!!!

diane @ thoughts and shots

Sarah Huizenga said...

What a heart warming story. There needs to b more assignments like this in the world.

Inspired By June said...

Love this, Kim! Knowing you, through your blog, I'm not surprised your son received a post card, or that your family received two. Blessings.

Sharon said...

What a sweet story! And it's about teenage boys -- writing old-fashioned postcards. Amazing, and moving. I can imagine your heart is bursting.

Buckeroomama said...

What a lovely gesture from his friend --writing assignment or not... and an equally thoughtful gesture on your son's part. Double blessings.

Maggie said...

Emerson's definition of success was new to me but I shall write it down somewhere (!) to remind myself I'm doing o.k.
Your son is very lucky to have a friend such as this one in his life.
Maggie

Brenda said...

Beautiful and heart-warming story!

Stephanie said...

Good morning, Kim! Guess what I am listening to right now? Traveling Wilburys - End of the Line :)

I just had to put the song on what I saw you had quoted it at the top of your post. When I was a little girl my dad would put this on the record player and we would twirl and twirl around the living room - such sweet memories :)

Aside from that... this was such a heart-touching post, my dear. Thank you so much for sharing at Roses of Inspiration - I have been inspired, my friend :) Hugs!

Roxi H said...

Oh, how powerful! Nearly brought me to tears.

Cathy H. said...

Wonderful story, wonderful son, and a wonderful teacher for giving this assignment! You must be very proud that your son is such an example for others his age!

molly said...

What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing that

Mollyxxx

Unknown said...

What a heartfelt story! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Hugs~

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.

Unknown said...

SO mamny things to be greatful and moved by! First I think the the teacher that gave this assignment most be a wonderful person and will surely teach some good values to his students. THen, of course the story of your son is humbling, beautiful and inspiring to say the least... I can only imagine how proud you are of your boy! And then your son´s friend is one of those special people that we all should have in our lives!
Loved this post and the whole story!

Kmcblackburn said...

To have the abiity to touch another person's soul is the greatest gift, in my opinion. You''ve been blessed :) Thanks for joining in at Song-ography.

Linda H said...

Oh Kim, my eyes are tearing up. reading this. Your heart must be bursting with pride for your son, his friend, and your son's teacher who came up with this incredible assignment. It is so touching. I wonder how many of the students struggled with what to write at first, and then felt sooo good once they were done... Kudos to the teacher, and to these two young men.

CatieAn said...

what a beautiful tribute to not only your son but to his family who rallied around him and held him close in their hearts while he had to endure so much you couldnt change.

Anita Johnson said...

Beautiful. While I have been battling Lyme Disease, I have had a friend that has written me almost every week,,,a note of encouragement. It isn't necessary, I see her at bible Study every Wednesday. I use her cards as bookmarks, and the handwriting and the personal note bless me over and over again. I think I am going to make myself some postcards. I would like to become an encourager too.

Gail Dixon said...

Reading things like this makes me have hope for humanity again. Thanks for sharing this uplifting post with us!

Liz said...

What a beautiful post, Kim! You have every reason to be incredibly proud of your son. What a fabulous English assignment.
Blessings to you, my friend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...