Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Chaos and the butterfly effect . . .


"It used to be thought that the events that changed the world were things
like big bombs, maniac politicians, huge earthquakes, or vast population
movements, but it has now been realized that this is a very old-fashioned
view held by people totally out of touch with modern thought. The things
that really change the world, according to Chaos theory, are the tiny things.
A butterfly flaps its wings in the Amazonian jungle, and subsequently
a storm ravages half of Europe."

- Neil Gaiman

{KK love and Mary}

An Abstract - "Walking with Butterflies"

 The butterfly effect . . . 

Often times things that are random could be explained away as chaos,
but chaos often times is far from random, and is probably somewhat predictable.
Yes, I think I just confused myself!

The Butterfly Effect as an example of Chaos Theory states that a particular occurrence,
no matter how small, can change the path of the universe...forever. That those small
changes in the original conditions bring drastic changes in the results.

As humans, we shouldn't need a theory or an effect to tell us that our actions matter.
But somehow we have relegated those thoughts to include everything else BUT ourselves.
We seem to have become immune to the fact that our actions have consequences.
Far reaching consequences.

It's also ironic and saddens me, that what didn't really have anything to do with butterflies per se, 
takes on a whole new meaning for the monarch with the term butterfly effect. One company,
a chemical, fields of corn and soybean and farmers. Oh, and let's not forget about greed.
One small change to the fields of America and we nearly have the demise of a butterfly.

But I digress, because today this isn't as much about the butterfly as it is the effect. It's more
about how we think and what we do, and maybe more importantly what we don't think and
what we haven't done.

Just last week I bought a little book called The Butterfly Effect, by Andy Andrews.
It's a small book, but it is powerful....and I've been thinking a lot about it.

And what he said in the last few pages touched me deeply.

"And how far forward would we need to go in your life to show the difference you make?
Every single thing you do matters."

Kim's theme this week is love . . . and it's with that love that I want to make everything I do matter.

Love, Kim






32 comments:

Roxi H said...

Ah, well said. Unfortunately those chemicals are us too.

Roxi H said...

Ah, well said. Unfortunately those chemicals are us too.

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Seeing what is happening in my part of the world with unprecedented flooding I so agree with what you have written Kim .....

Pieni Lintu said...

Cool shot!

Sarah Huizenga said...

Perfect photo and words for the Theme Love. It does make you stop and think doesn't it.

Barbara said...

Just so wonderful and so well said Kim, love everything about this, could be in a museum such thought went into this piece.

Nicki said...

With last month's chemical spill, I'd say this theory is heavy on everyone's mind locally. 'It's A Wonderful Life' plays year in and year out - the message is there, but are we paying attention?

Excellent post. Excellent photo.

Kim Cunningham said...

Beautiful words and image. Yes, I Agee that there are certainly effects and consequences of what we do.

Sherri B. said...

Such wise and touching thoughts, as always...your image is absolutely stunning. Beautiful editing!

Tamar SB said...

That book sounds fascinating!

Beverly said...

Kim, you have taken this image to a new level! I faved it on Flickr and now it is even more lovely in the pink tones!! xx

Becs said...

Thought provoking words and I absolutely love this image.

A Garden of Threads said...

Lovely post Kim to go with a gorgeous photo.

Michelle B said...

Your image is mesmerizing. So Beautiful. Your words are beautiful as well. I will have to pick up a copy of that book.

Linda/patchwork said...

Beautiful image. And, wise words.
We forget how what we do makes such a difference.
Good reminder.

Barb said...

Excellent reminder today that the little things we do matter. I love your image, and I'm going to have to get that book. Thanks for sharing.

TesoriTrovati said...

Truly, every little thing we does matter. I have been seeing a lot of the Harry Potter movies on tv of late. One line has really jumped out at me..."It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities," says Dumbledore. I agree. The choices we make set in motion the experiences we have and the way we react to them. And that really does matter. Thank you for the lovely ethereal image and the deep thoughts today. Enjoy the day. Erin

Deanna said...

So well expressed, and I do agree that even the smallest experience or the smallest act has a ripple effect beyond our knowledge.

Dotti said...

Gosh, you do abstracts so beautifully! Yes, it's true. We fail to think about how our smallest action might start a virtual riptide reaction, whether it's environmental or in personal relationships. We do need to learn to be more 'intentional' people, don't we?

Nancy said...

Nicely done. xo

lisa said...

I very much enjoyed your post today. It's so thought-provoking....and so true. If we want to change the world, the place to begin in within ourselves because that is where the butterfly effects always originate! Well done!
Visiting from Texture Tuesday

Sheila said...

Beautiful post - and your image is amazing!

Kathryn Dyche said...

What we do really does matter . . . even when we think it doesn't. There's something compelling about that image that I just can't put my finger on. I reminds me of how I feel when I get vertigo but in this case its as though I want to give in to that sensation. I know I'm probably not making any sense so I'll leave it there.

Brenda said...

Oh, love the watery abstract nature of this image - so soft and delicate and lovely.

Unknown said...

It sounds like that book is the kind of book that gets stuck in your head and doesn't come out. Can I just say I dont get abstract art.....but this? what you created? I LOVE it. really ...Kim...It's amazing

Honey from the Bee said...

Clarence: "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?"
from It's a Wonderful Life

For better or worse... I'm doing my best for better!

Sylvia said...

Sounds like a great little book, Kim !
Your image is gorgeous !
Nice week,
Sylvia

Inspired By June said...

Interesting image, Kim. Would love to see how you created it :) I agree with you, every thing we do matters, and has far reaching effects that many times only God knows and understands. It's important, I think, to believe and trust that God is working all these things for an ultimate good. The movie Lone Survivor recently had me thinking a great deal about this. Deep thoughts.

Sharon said...

The abstract shot of the butterflies is amazing!

Ahayes1225 said...

You really made me think. Beautiful work!

Unknown said...

Awesome my friend.

Hugs~

shooter said...

You have some beautiful images and words on here I love the shot

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...